Total Pageviews

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

My first blog

Having been inspired by my sister's blog updating me on the day-to-day lives of her family and all my wonderful nephews and nieces, I have decided that now is a good time to create a blog of my own. I hope that this will serve as an interesting way to keep my family in touch with me and maybe on the off-chance that something interesting happens in my life that would be worth reading!

Besides that, I am hoping that this proves to be therapeutic for me and helps to distract me as I am going through a difficult period right now. Enough about that!

I am going to add pics and stuff to try and keep up with my sister's blog but for right now I am still working out how this whole blog thing works!

Today I played my weekly game of soccer (football anywhere else in the world other than USA...) and whilst my nephew Kofi was visiting the home of football in London, I cannot claim to have done anything that has enhanced the sport with my personal performance on the pitch tonight! We lost something like 13-4 and the fact that the scoreline was the least depressing part of our performance says a lot. I'm sure that my team-mates must get fed up with me as I continually shout instructions and ask for more from them, but alas they are American and hence genetically awful at soccer! I should accept this gracefully and stop moaning - I will try to do so from now on. The one consoling thought is that there are worse forms of the game - for instance we are better than any of the women's soccer teams from the world cup, and going even one more level down in quality is the American Major League Soccer - Beckham... Henry... Juan Pablo Angel... Dreadful.

I had a meeting earlier on today which was in a building just across from Madison Square park (41 Madison) and the meeting was on the 41st floor (I like the symmetry of that...). The view was amazing - looking directly north up at mid-town Manhattan right up Madison Avenue taking in all the wonderful buildings. The best part of the view was actually the building directly next door - I'm not sure of the name of the building but it has a gold pointed roof and I have seen this building numerous times in my 4 years in New York but I can honestly say that the angle I saw it today was magnificent - the golden roof was at the same level as I was on the 41st floor and it gleamed in the summer sun - it was a surreal experience to have a meeting where we were bathed in golden light.

Tomorrow I have a managing directors' call at 8am so am hoping to get to bed not too late. Before I sleep I shall watch one of my favorite shows on TV - Deadliest Catch - it follows a number of different crab fishing vessels in the Bering Sea (between Alaska and Russia), and on paper you would think that watching a show about fishing for crabs (or is it crabbing for crabs?) might get a little bit repetitive after a few shows... Hell no! It is in it's 7th season and it is great! The hold-your-breath moment as the crab cage is pulled out of the ocean and you find out whether they are "on the crab" or whether they have missed out altogether - I love every minute of it, and am hooked (get it?) on several spin-offs including Swords: Life on the Line (about Sword fishing) and Lobstermen. Great TV.

Anyway, not sure if anyone will even read this, but I am going to go to bed now. Love you all xxx

2 comments:

  1. Read it. Loved it. Now part of my required reading. Minky XXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it The Metropolitan Life Building next to Credit Suisse? Met Life is a stunning building which I used to get confused with the Woolworth Building.

    ReplyDelete